Friday 25 April 2014

Update

It has been awhile since the last post. A few things had happened.

1. I have been jinxed again...my pumpkin flowers failed to be fertilised again. At least two of them dropped after being fertilised and the rest just dropped before blooming. At least I got seven new pumpkins as consolation.

2. My good uncle (bless him) went to spray herbicide using a motorised sprayer. The sprayer was super effective and the vapour actually settled on the corn seedlings. Some leaves actually yellowed and died. Those pesky weeds...did not die and/or cannot be burned. I am slightly miffed, I burn things and usually they burn.

3. My neighbour gave me his two huge clumps of serai peha ayam. these may be gargantuan lemon grass but as any good cook knows it is actually quite tasteless. Good cooks tend to avoid using this type of lemon grass. It is however good money.

4. I bought a sack of compost fertiliser (made out of oil palm waste) sold at a nursery. I decided to try it because I have planted some more pumpkins and the seedling seemed not to be growing properly. The area I have planted the pumpkins may be indeed very barren. The effect is positive so far.

5. I received my squash seeds from Kebun Bahagia Bersama, which came with some surprise sunflower seeds. It made my day as I received them together with 20 official Postcrossing postcards.

Lastly some pumpkins are starting to ripen and beginning to show some yellow discolouration after teasing me with orangish tinge. I finally figured out what kind of pumpkin breed we have in Malaysia ~ It's Jap/Kent.



No comments:

Post a Comment